The one where we all turn 30


Come October, I always think about life (more than usual) and begin to reassess and evaluate the year I've had. I also have my medical checks in October, doing my bit to take care of this life God has blessed me with.

I also look forward to posting an epic and memorable blog post which I've been doing every birthday since 2004. This year however, I decided to do something a little different. I wanted to appreciate the people who have made an impact in my life and who have really helped shape me.

I decided to write 30 letter to 30 individuals whom I've had a life-changing experience with. The catch was, I had to hand-write these letters. It was no easy task as I've developed carpel tunnel over the years and I feel like I'm beginning to lose the ability to do the everyday things like turn on a tap, or open a bottle of water, and even to take notes at church has become quite agonizing.

The more I thought about it, the more I knew I had to do this last bit of letter writing to preserve this dying art and maybe to prove that I've still got some strength in these hands yet. I've written 20 letters to date and I'm still at it, penning the last 10 which I'll deliver over the next few weeks.

In writing these letters, I've rediscovered the many wonderful things I've learnt from friendships made and I tell the recipients of my letters just how much their life and actions have impacted mine. I believe we really do learn a lot and pick up things from our family and peers so it was nice to actually put into words the practices or traits which I've adopted from the people I look up to and I've grown with.

My birthday weekend was spent on an island. I woke up bright and early, at 4:30am to catch the sun rise. I was at Pulau Gaya in Sabah for work and my colleague and I picked our way across the darkened resort compound (praying there were no snakes around) towards the deserted beach to hopefully catch the sun rising over Mount Kinabalu.


As the first sign of daylight began to prick the sky, I felt as if a song was bubbling up inside me. Light orange hues slowly spread across the sky and I couldn't help but sing:-
“Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness! Morning by morning new mercies I see; All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!"
As cliche as it sounds, I was so glad to be alive and so blessed to be able to wake up to see 30 in such spectacular fashion. It's like He made the morning perfect, just for me :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

28

The Peace of Wild Things

Tuesday's Threes