On writing Love Letters

The Adams Letters

John and Abigail Adams exchanged more than 1,100 letters during the course of their courtship and 54-year-marriage and his diplomatic and presidential career. This is an excerpt from a letter Abigail wrote to John dated Dec. 23, 1782 (spellings are as in the original letter):

My Dearest Friend,

... should I draw you the picture of my Heart, it would be what I hope you still would Love; tho it containd nothing New; the early possession you obtained there; and the absolute power you have ever mantaind over it; leaves not the smallest space unoccupied. I look back to the early days of our acquaintance; and Friendship, as to the days of Love and Innocence; and with an undiscribable pleasure I have seen near a score of years roll over our Heads, with an affection heightned and improved by time — nor have the dreary years of absence in the smallest degree effaced from my mind the Image of the dear untittled man to whom I gave my Heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace of Wild Things

Knitted together

28