the Story

I've begun reading Donald Miller's A Million Miles in a Thousand Years and it's really engaging me to 're-read' and 're-write' my own stories.

I first picked it up cause I've been reading his blog and really liked the way he writes. So when I saw the book on sale at the amazing Popular book fest, I knew I had to own a copy!

The book basically talks about his success, failure and his life falling into a lull when along comes an opportunity to write a film based on his book about his life. While planning the narrative for the fictional character Don, he confronts the unremarkable and dull nature of his real life.

Can you imagine your life being made into a movie? Would it be worth watching? Would your story be engaging/powerful/dramatic/funny/memorable?

Before one can begin to write a story you'd probrably want to know what a story is. The book defines a story as, “A character who wants something and overcomes conflict to get it”.

He pens his journey in a highly entertaining manner and he's one author where words just come alive and poke and prod you along the way.

It’s a hard book to put down and I'm only halfway through but it sorta pushes you to think and make better choices, face up to some conflict, face your fears and live better stories.

So hey, what kind of stories are you writing today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitted together

The Peace of Wild Things

28