Saturday, October 27, 2012
As you get older, you're supposed to get wiser...right? So I got to thinking about what I've learned over time. And taking my queue from Phil in Modern Family, I decided to write down my words of wisdom which I live by and to commemorate turning 29!
1. Talking to yourself doesn't mean you're crazy.
2. Papercuts happen. Often. So go paperless!
3. Everybody is somebody else's weirdo.
4. Always wear a spot of colour. You never know when you might need some cheer.
5. Look at pretty pictures. It helps you see the world a little differently OR it helps you stay disillusioned about the world.
6. Coffee is good. 5 cups... not so much.
7. Girls should sometimes indulge in chocolates and champagne. I said SOMETIMES.
8. Give hugs. Often. Great big squeezes which knock the wind out of people. People know when hugs are half hearted.
9. Have tech-free weekends. It helps to know you can survive if Revolution happens.
10. Sing out loud even if you don't know the song. Much laughter ensues from misheard lyrics.
11. Make mixed CD's. The emo shit playlist you created for your then boyfriend sounds just as good played 5 years later.
12. Observe people. They're easier to read than you think.
13. Always be nice. It's not a bad thing.
14. Have your 'me time' even after you're married. You need time to reconnect with yourself. And cry in private when you watch Grey's Anatomy.
15. Cultivate prayer time with your husband/wife. It's good knowing someone is praying with you and for you too.
16. Get some floor time. I often feel like a school kid when I'm hunched over a box of paints or coloured paper or a needle and thread going at some seemingly silly project. I always finish with a backache and an unexplainable sense of fulfillment.
17. Appreciate people. Thank You's and kind words go a long way.
18. Never talk down to people. That's just plain rude.
19. Take time to listen. To your parents, your kids, your colleagues, your friends, your husband/Wife, and anyone who had the courage to first speak up to you. Yes, even to your little nephew who's just asked you the same freakin' question eleven times.
20. One should always Dancewalk.
21. Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.
22. Life exists in pauses and stillness.
23. Defensive driving means driving like everyone else is an idiot.
24. Laugh at yourself. You'll never cease to be amused.
25. Get your ass up or gravity's gonna be pulling it down.
26. Lessons on cooking: Never fry stuff in the nude.
27. Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.
28. The joy of pay-day is short lived.
29. I'm not so good with numbers so maybe we stop counting so 30 never arrives.